Monday, September 5, 2011

Leaf Wreath on Canvas

Happy Labor Day to you all! 

I hope that you had a wonderful weekend with family and friends and soaked up every last bit of summer that you could.  We celebrated my dear old Dad's 60th birthday with my family.  It was wonderful to have everyone together to celebrate such a happy event.  Happy 60th birthday, Daddy!  We all love you and are thankful to God for you!

In other news, I have been working on our fall decorations in our house.  I have had these canvases for years now.  Jason and I had covered them with a red fabric and hung three of them in our living room when we were first married.  I'm pretty sure we got the idea from my sister who got the idea from Pottery Barn.  We quickly got tired of that look and I have been trying to come up with a new way to use them.  I saw a print the other day online somewhere and for the life of me, I can't remember where it was from.  I decided to make my own leaf wreath print on my old canvases.  I began by painting them both gray.  I then used my largest cover to one of my kitchen pots to make a large circle on some paper.  To make the smaller circle, I used the smallest cover to another pot.  Genius, right?  I taped the paper to the canvas so that it wouldn't slip around.  Also, I apologize for the dark pictures.  These were taken at night after the little ones were in bed.


For this project, I used some ink called Potter's Clay and a leaf stamp.


I simply stamped the leaf stamp on the gray areas of my canvas, making sure to turn rotate the stamp randomly so that it wouldn't look too "perfect."





I carefully removed the paper and repeated the process on the other canvas.  I would recommend letting the ink dry overnight so that it doesn't smudge.  I may or may not have learned that the hard way... 
Here is the finished product!


No, we still haven't finished caulking and painting the crown moulding, thank you very much.  We'll get to it when we get to it, alright?  :)


The end result is pretty subtle, but that's okay with me.  I didn't want it to be too bright and too bold of an orange color.





Right now I have them on top of our refinished dining room corner cabinets.  We'll see where they end up!


I've been having so much fun decorating for fall around our little Cape Cod house.  What have you been up to?  I love new ideas about how to decorate for each season!

Blessings on your week!

I'm linking this up to:

Thrifty Decor Chick

Centsational Girl

1 comment: